A call to action is a marketing term that refers to the action that a marketer (in this case site owner) wants the client (or visitor) to perform when viewing the advertisement (or visiting the page).
A call to action could be any of the following:
- Click a link to visit another page (i.e. reduce the site bounce rate)
- Enter a search to find a suitable product
- Click a link to sign up on the site
- Click a button to book a ticket or purchase a product
- Call a telephone number listed on the site
Every web page on a site should have a call to action and the call to action should be relevant to the purpose of the page.